How To Braid Hairstyles With Three Strands, Brush all of your hair back from your hairline. Let it fall into its natural part. Before you braid, you can pull your hair back into a ponytail or just let it hang loose.
1. Divide the hair into three equal strands.
2. Hold the left strand in your left hand. Hold the right strand in your right hand. Cross the right strand over the middle strand. Hold the new middle strand in place with your right thumb.
3. Cross the left strand over the middle strand. Hold the new middle strand in place with your left thumb.
4. Continue crossing the right strand and then the left strand over the middle strand. As you work, keep the strands secure, but don’t pull too tight. Slide your hand down the strands once in a while to smooth them out.
5. When you reach the end of the braid, secure with a hair elastic.
Continue crossing over the strands until you reach the end.
Hand position can be tricky. It will also be different depending on whether you are braiding a friend’s hair or your own. Practice to find the way that works best for you. If you don’t have a friend nearby to practice on, you may have a doll with hair you can braid. She won’t complain if you tug too hard by mistake!